High Level Business Forum
Rt. Hon'ble Mr. Sher Bahadur Deuba
Prime Minister, Chair: High level Business Forum
As the apex body of NBF, the primary responsibility of the High Level Business Forum is policy formulation and making policy decisions to attain the objectives of NBF. HLBF is chaired by the Rt. Honorable Prime Minister and the Secretary of the Ministry of Industry serves as its Member Secretary. Its members include different government ministries and organizations, representatives of the private sector, professional organizations and civil societies, in addition to invitees such as relevant sector “specific experts and professionals.
HLBF makes recommendations for sector “specific policy reforms and assists in the implementation of institutional and managerial reforms necessary for the facilitation of effective public “private dialogue and alliance. In addition, the HLBF can, if required, resolve issues on which resolution has not been achieved at lower levels.
The first meeting of the HLBF was held under the Chairmanship of Rt. Honorable Prime Minister Mr. Madhav Kumar Nepal on January 21, 2011. This meeting called for the creation of a climate suitable for implementation of the recommended reforms by facilitating open discussions in the presence of all stakeholders. The priority areas under immediate focus included finding practical and sustainable solutions to end the current power crisis and removing all obstacles which stand in way of fruitful cooperation and partnership amongst public, private as well as other development stakeholders.
Following were the major decisions taken by the first meeting of the HLBF:
- Taking into consideration the critical role tourism and Small and Medium Enterprises play in the economic development of Nepal, the process of forming a Tourism Sector Working Group and a Small and Medium Industry Working Group was initiated. The specifics of the Working Groups and their structures will be decided by the Steering Committee.
- Honorable Minister for Forest and Soil Conservation and Secretary for the Ministry of Forest and Soil Conservation will be included in the HLBF as members.
- The Secretariat of NBF is a priority and must be established immediately, with the aim of creating a professional and results “oriented mechanism. The drafting of plans and programs for this purpose, provision of skilled manpower and a working method for management of the Secretariat must be formulated at the soonest.
- A specialized unit will be established in the Ministry of Industry for proper inclusion of public and private sector representatives in the system of NBF.
- Meetings of the Working Groups under the Forum will be held regularly and reform work will be accelerated to achieve the goal of creating a sound business environment through public “private dialogue